Inclusion criteria for survey participation included
- Currently a SNAP recipient (has an EBT/Ohio Direction Card)
- Resides within one mile of a farmers' market (FM); each selected FM as a centroid must have at least one census tract with high SNAP participation
- Have child(ren) under 18 years of age living in the home with them at least half of the time
- English or Spanish speaking
- At least 18 years of age
Research Questions for FreshLink Survey, Year 1
- How are SNAP (food stamp) recipients living near an urban farmers’ market similar and different in terms of their beliefs, behaviors, and constraints related to farmers’ market use?
- What are individual, market, and community-level factors that influence whether or not SNAP recipients shop at farmers’ markets? How can these factors be leveraged to motivate these residents to more frequently use farmers’ markets as healthy food retail venues?
- What are the key channels by which SNAP recipients get information about farmers’ markets, Double Value Produce Perks, and nutrition education classes?
- Make referrals to farmers’ markets and explain use of Produce Perks
- Share information about these programs at local outreach sites including Job and Family Service Sites, food pantries, libraries, rec centers and more.
- Provide a welcoming presence on site at participating farmers' markets.
Year Four (2018) was the last year of intervention for the FreshLink project before the Dissemination phase. In the summer of 2018, FreshLink worked with six markets in Cleveland, including the three sites from Year Three and added Coit Road Farmers Market, North Union Farmers' Market at Shaker Square, and The Village Market in Slavic Village. Four FreshLink Ambassadors conducted outreach in Year Four. The FreshLink team used the lessons learned in the first year of implementation to improve the program training, scheduling, planning, and outreach in 2018.
FreshLink Ambassador Model Training Timeline
FreshLink Training Presentations
- FreshLink Training Orientation
- FreshLink Training Session 1 (Food Access Jeopardy)
- FreshLink Training Session 3
- FreshLink Training Session 4
- FreshLink Training Session 5
- FreshLink Training Session 7